Thursday, April 30, 2015

Instagram Detox

Any one of my friends will say that I'm obsessed with taking photos. While I use to carry my DSLR with me almost at all times, I have grown more fond of the camera on my iPhone.

With the Instagram being all about photos, this grew into being my favorite app.

Everyone who is on Instagram seems to be obsessed with becoming "Instafamous" and how many likes on photos they would receive. People would think of countless ways of how to gain followers (my little brother included) and do almost anything to get those follows; which included annoying amounts of unnecessary hashtags that I used to "do" as a joke.

But these reasons above weren't and never were the reason I had my Instagram.

I saw Instagram as a way to scrapbook my life (and stop spamming people on my Facebook with photos). I would put a few hashtags relevant to my picture, but that was it. The hashtags were more for me to find people with similar interests, not to gain followers. I could honestly care less about followers. My Instagram consisted of mostly people I knew and I only followed people I knew in person. It was just another was to document my life and keep in touch with fellow friends.

But, I've recently deleted my Instagram.

And this was more multiple reasons. But biggest one might be shocking to a lot of people.

I deleted it because seeing everyone else Instagram made me feel self conscious about myself. I've always had a bad habit of comparing myself to other. And I see these beautiful pictures of other girls and it wears on my self esteem. Even though in my head I understand that most of these pictures are probably edited, taken in perfect lighting, and hundreds of photos previously were taken, my brain still doesn't see that. It wore on my self esteem that I was trying to bring up.

Other minor things that contributed to the deletion of my Instagram was that none of my friends actually use Instagram. All of them are rather introverted, so posting pictures...rarely happens. So I actually only see a few pictures of the same few people on my feed.

Another thing was, do I really care anymore? I'm still gonna post my pictures on Facebook and the people that I care about will see them. My Instagram posting was already dwindling to once a week because I simply didn't care for posting about my life constantly. I actually liked that my life was private. I actually didn't want people always knowing what I was doing. Because that really wasn't important to me anymore.

So I deleted my account. I've honestly haven't had any "withdrawal" symptoms. I'm growing as a person and I'm getting over the whole "post my whole life on social media" phase. And maybe it's not a phase for others and that is totally cool. But for me, I'm enjoying having my life set on private mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment