Friday, October 25, 2013

What a High

Literally.

My gastrologist wanted to start me on a appetite stimulater to hopefully help me gain some weight. We tried Periactin (normally an allergy medication, but the side effect of the medication makes you hungry),  but it made me so tired and loopy that I was seeing double. So obviously that medication was stopped.

My doctors wanted me to try a more extreme appetite stimulater. Marinol.

Marinol is a synthetic cannabinoid, which means it's a form of synthetic marijuana. It's FDA approved and is used for appetite lost and to help with nausea for cancer and patients with AIDS.  It's supposed to give you a nice boost of the munchies.

Well, my doctors said that it would only make me hungry and not give me the effects the marijuana would have.

I believe they were wrong. I say believe because I've never done any form of illegal drugs, so I don't know how feeling high feels like.

But I took this medication only expecting it to make me hungry. About 30 minutes later, I start to feel really dizzy and tired. I thought I was just exhausted, so I was going to take a little nap. When I closed my eyes, everything in my head started spinning. It was a familiar feeling of passing out. So instead I just laid in my bed.

Everything in the room seemed like it was moving, my hearing started focusing on very sound in the hospital and my body felt jittery.

I eventually called the nurse because I wasn't sure what was going with my body. She sort of chuckled and said it was probably the Marinol.

Needless to say, I was in this weird "high" feeling for about 4 hours until it completely wore off. I'm going to try the medication two more times and if it still makes me feel funny, I'm just not going to take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment