Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Silver Lining: Drug Companies that Care

As most people are aware of, medicine is EX-PEN-SIVE. Even the over the counter medicine, such as Tylenol, is $12.99. Common generic prescriptions usually have a copay between $5-20 dollars. That's for the common medicine. The baby medicine as I call it. That would be your normal antibiotics, ciprofloxacin, levaquin, prilosec (Prevacid), etc etc.

Then you get into the big kid medicine. When your monthly copay for one your antibiotics is $1400, $900 for another antibiotic, and $900 for enzymes, the tiny $20 copay doesn't bother you. If anything, you are thanking the heavens that it's only $20.

Before everyone starts having a heart attack, these prices are usually part of a cap off system (a plan included in insurance policies). Which really means we only pay $200 (or whatever your cap off is) a month per medication.

$200 is still big chunk of money. Luckily, the people who distribute these drugs recognize that they are expensive. So many manufactures have created assistance programs to lower the cost. This includes TOBI, Pulmozyme, and Creon. I'm sure there is more, but these are the programs I'm currently on.

I specifically want to talk about the Creon Co-Pay Assistance Program and the CF Care Forward program. The Creon Co-Pay Assistance program gives you $50 off every month on your Creon prescriptions. That's actually a lot of money. It saves you $600 a year.

What I am really excited about is the CF Care Forward Program. If you take Creon, you get a multivitamin and supplement drinks for free! FREE! You don't even need to pay for shipping! Now the multivitamins were out of stock when I went to get my free stuff, but they did have Ensure Plus!

I just received my package in the mail today of my 28 bottles of Ensure Plus! If anyone takes supplement drinks, they know that is usually $40 for a case of 28

So I'm pretty thrilled about receiving free Ensure Plus every month. I will, however, cringe as I drink them since I hate the taste of supplement drinks. And quickly after chug down a water bottle to get rid of the disgusting after taste.

There are good companies in a world of expensive medicine. :)

Free Ensures Plus = Week made fabulous



No comments:

Post a Comment