Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Retiring Memories

This might be slighlty old news, since this was announced on September 6th, but Hayao Miyazaki is retiring, for real this time.

This name might ring a bell. If you ever watched the Academy Award winning movie, Spirited Away, he is the genius man who created the movie.

The first movie I ever saw of his was Kiki's Delivery Service when I was about 5 years old (if not a little younger). It was one of my favorite movies! I would watch it over and over again.

I watched Spirited Away one day on Cartoon Nework when I was 12. I caught the end of the movie, but I loved it so much that I found it somewhere else on TV and recorded it. Being over obsessive over things, I watched the movie twice a day. I kept watching it over and over again. I was driving my family slighlty insane from watching the same movie every morning and night. My dad after a couple of days, went out and searched for the movie for me. Since the Miyazaki movies weren't as popuar back then, he actually had to go to a couple of stores to find it. I treasured that disk with my life.

I soon learned about his other movies and thats when I started falling in love with all of his films. I bought each one, one by one, and treasured them on a special shelf in my room.

With collecting my prized movies, I also started collecting the movies art books. I remember the first one I bought was The Art of Spirited Away. I still am to this day, very gentle with my art books. Each art book ranges from $40 or higher. Depending on how "rare" the book is. I used to recieve some of my art books from my Grandma Sandy, and I was probably one of the happiest people in the world. Whenever I had Amazon gift cards, I would buy these art books (and manga, but that is another story).

Only this past summer, I went to a Japanese book store in Seattle and saw a Japanese art book of The Cat Returns. I didn't care that it was $50, I bought it. I was so excited because this art book was more difficult to find since it was an import. They also have yet to translate this art book into English, making it a more difficult find.

I still haven't collected all the movies and art books, but whenever I have extra money, it's one of the first things I buy.

To say Miyazaki has a special place in my heart is an understatement. His movies have created great memories for me. I used to watch them with all my friends and my grandma. We would get emotional about the intense scenes and laugh about the walking cats in The Cat Returns.

I'm not shocked that Miyazaki is retiring, I saw it coming. After his son started assisting him with his movies, I knew his time had come. He is 73 years old, and as he said in his interview, he would like to work for at least 10 more years, but I think making feature films is no longer my job. A new film, would take six or seven years. I'm going to be 73 years old and I would be 80 by the end.

But he isn't completely leaving us. He said that he would still be a presence in the the Ghibli Studio and might concentrate on the Ghibli Museum.

But all I have to say is


No comments:

Post a Comment