Monday, September 23, 2013

My Favorite Photograph



"Racing barefooted after kicking off her flip-flops, Cyndie pushes her son Derek Madsen, 10, up and down hallways in the UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento on June 21, 2005, successfully distracting him during the dreaded wait before his bone marrow extraction. Doctors want to determine whether he is eligible for a blood stem cell transplant, his best hope for beating neuroblastoma, a rare childhood cancer, which was diagnosed in November 2004." Source: Here

Even though cancer and Cystic Fibrosis are two completely different medical conditions, I've always felt a strong connection with my friends who've suffered through cancer. All the doctors, all the medication, all IV's, all the surgeries, all the side effects, we always understand each other even with such different circumstances.

When I saw this photo, I automatically smiled. I could immediately relate to every emotion Derek felt.

3 comments:

  1. I love you Ashley. You are a very strong person. I am here for you and support you for anything it is that you need or want. My prayers go out to not only you but every other person that is fighting the same fight. Your a fighter!
    Signed, your cousin Tyree <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tyree <3 Come visit Grandma and I sometime soon!

      Delete
    2. I just visited Grandma this past weekend =p

      Delete